Here is a recipe to help you eat what’s in season
Here’s something so yummy and easy that it’s become a winter staple in our house.
Baked Pinto Beans and Sweet Potatoes, Enchilada Style
The following ingredients are for a vegan recipe. If you’d like to add cheese, get 1 cup of cubed Monterey Jack cheese ready, too.
- A little EV olive oil
- Your favorite salsa
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- A little cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Use a tablespoon or so of oil to grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Spread the potatoes and salsa in the dish, cover the dish with foil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and add the beans and some salt and pepper (and cheese if you like). Sprinkle the tortilla crumbs.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the tortilla chips are browned (or cheese is melted), 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cilantro.
Voila! Easy and delicious…and family-friendly!
(Recipe is thanks to Mark Bittman.)