Another veg recipe you’ll love!
Here’s one more recipe to keep you eating yummy vegetarian stuff while I’m busy writing up another more literary post…
Southwestern Falafel with Avocado Spread (Adapted from Cooking Light)
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c. Monterey Jack cheese (or Veggie Shreds)
- ¼ c. finely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 T green onions
- 1 T finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 t ground cumin
- 1 large egg white (or egg replacer)
- 1½ t canola oil (we use olive)
- ¼ c. mashed, peeled avocado
- 2 T finely chopped plum tomato
- 1 T finely chopped red onion
- 2 T fat-free sour cream (Tofutti works, too, but honestly, we leave this out!)
- 1 t lime juice (fresh, if you’ve got it)
- 1/8 t salt
2 small pitas, each cut in half crosswise
This is soooo easy:
For patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl and partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Form into 4-6 patties. Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 minutes per side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
For spread, while patties cook, combine all spread ingredients in a small bowl. Place two patties in each pita half, and add spread. YUM!