Black-Eyed Pea Cakes with Adobo Cream (from Cooking Light magazine)
- ¼ c fat-free sour cream (or Tofutti sour cream)
- 1 t adobo sauce
- 1 (15.8 oz.) can no-salt-added black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ c dry breadcrumbs
- 1 T finely chopped onion
- ½ t bottled minced garlic
- ½ t ground cumin
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or egg substitute)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ t olive oil
- ¼ c shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or shredded rice cheese)
- Combine sour cream and adobo sauce in a small bowl.
- Place beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Stir in breadcrumbs and next 7 ingredients (through egg white). With floured hands, divide pea mixture into ½-inch-thick patties.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden and thoroughly heated. Remove from pan and top each cake with a sprinkling of cheese. Serve with sour cream sauce.